Elected intendant September 5, 1836, succeeding Dr. Edward W. North. Succeeded by Henry L. Pinckney, September 1837.
Born 1791, died September 24, 1839, buried in St. Michael's Episcopal churchyard.
Son of William Hayne and Elizabeth Peronneau, married Frances Henrietta Pinckney 1813; married Rebecca Brewton Alston 1820. 
Attended Charleston schools, studied law. Admitted to bar in 1821, practiced with Benjamin Elliott.
Lieutenant in Charleston Cadet Infantry during War of 1812; 1814 became captain of the Charleston Cadet Riflemen. State militia 1814-1836, rising to the position of major general.
Represented St. Philip's and St. Michael's parishes in State House during three General Assemblies, 1814-1819. South Carolina attorney general 1819-1822; United States senator 1823-1833, resigning in December 1832 after being elected governor of South Carolina.
1836 became first president of the Louisville, Cincinnati and Charleston Railroad.

Bailey, N. Louise. Biographical Directory of the South Carolina House of Representatives. Volume 4, 1791-1815. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1984.
Charleston Courier, September 7, 1836; September 6, 1837.
Hizer, Trenton. "Hayne, Robert Young." Walter Edgar, ed. The South Carolina Encyclopedia. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2006.


New York Public Library Digital Gallery (

Robert Young Hayne

Preservation Society of Charleston

Residence of intendant Robert Y. Hayne, 24 King Street (today's 4 Ladson Street). In 1825, Mrs. Robert Hayne's father, William Alston, gave her a building lot opposite his own house (21 King Street), and Hayne built this house for his family. Robert P. Stockton, "A Difference of Four Feet: The Boundary Between 30 and 36 King Street." 1998 (copy in Preservation Society Vertical Files).

Preservation Society of Charleston

In the 1890s, George B. Edwards moved the Hayne house north of its original site, turning it to face west, and placed it on a stylish stone foundation.

City of Charleston Block Plats, 1882

The Hayne property, 1882. After construction of the house, William Alston gave two more lots to Rebecca Alston Hayne, extending the lot to nearly 135' along King Street. The Hayne heirs sold the house and land in 1863.

Sanborn Company, 1888

The Hayne house, with piazzas at its west and south sides, was set at the east end of its deep lot.

Sanborn Company, 1902

The Hayne house, 1902. George B. Edwards bought today's 2 Ladson, 4 Ladson, and 30 King Street in 1890, and cooperated with City Council to have Ladson Court extended to King Street in 1893. He relocated the Hayne house northward, and made it his residence. The 26' wide street was then laid through the empty lot.